letter o K M
L letter i KMcElman_100416_0068 letter R letter a r Graffito Y (Boston, MA)

Friday, March 4, 2011

March 14 - 18 is Education Week!

The award-winning author Deborah Ellis will be speaking to a group of about 500 students in our OKM gymnasium on Tuesday March 15th at 2:10. Thanks to the OKM Parent Advisory Council for sponsoring this event!

During the week, approximately 4000 students across our school district will be attending presentations at the Kelowna Community Theatre, and the Central Okanagan Teacher-Librarian's Association (COTLA) is also hosting an evening presentation for the Kelowna community at large. The evening presentation will be on Thursday, March 17th at the Kelowna Community Theatre. The show will start at 7:00 p.m. with admission by donation and all proceeds going in support of Little Women for Little Women.

Ms. Ellis is an internationally acclaimed author, a peace activist, a humanitarian field worker and a feminist. Her novels tell the stories of young people around the world who have been marginalized by poverty, drug trafficking, war or illness. The profits from each of her books are donated to different worthy causes, including more than one million dollars in royalties from The Breadwinner Trilogy.
 Author Profile from Groundwood Books

8 comments:

Husky said...

I remember reading bread winner in grade 5 and I really enjoyed it. It really opened my eyes to what was, and still is going on around the world. Great book, Great Author! :)

Unknown said...

I have heard your amazing work with humanatarian causes, I am so inspired by all your hard work.

Unknown said...

I read the bread winner too! It gave me the motivation to make a difference in the world. I can't wait to hear what Deborah Ellis has to say. Her accomplishments are inspiring.

Brandeeeeeeeeeeeep! said...

I hope you like OKM, I bet we'll love having you here!

Unknown said...

I really enjoy Deborah Ellis's books, and can't wait to see her in person.

Unknown said...

When we were in grade seven, my class did a project on the Breadwinner...I liked it so much and learned so much from it that I went on to read Mud City. The books are so well written and I can't wait to meet the author! :)

Unknown said...

I am amazed her dedication to her humanitarian efforts!

Unknown said...

I love your work, and your an inspiration to us all!